Saturday, April 23, 2005

Things are heating up...

This week has been especially good. Sunday morning started off with a win by about 20 points on our home court to keep our chances of staying in the first division alive. With two more games to go we will mostly likely need to win out to remain in Alpha 1. It’s an okay place to be though, a lot of teams are fighting down to the wire but we hold our chances in our hands and don’t have to hope that another team loses. I played well and felt more like myself. Its been a bit of a struggle with a whole new system, the triangle offense, and a new coach that doesn’t speak English but Sunday I listened more to myself instead of trying to figure things out through a translator. It felt good.

Sunday afternoon I went with my teammate, Mimi, and her friends to a seaside taverna for a great meal. It was a makeshift building with mostly people sitting in a clear tent like area festively decorated with fake garlands, what looked like flowered contact paper for the ceiling and various colored lightbulbs hanging from a string. Wonderfully tacky. We ate fresh calamari and beer, among other Greek specialties, and stayed there for hours. Her friends are so sweet, Zoe, Rula, and my favorite Greek name, Aphrodite.

Sunday evening I wasn’t up for anything too exciting and not much was going on so I headed down to the movie theatre near my house. I hadn’t gone to the movies in awhile and hadn’t gone by myself for a long while so it was a welcomed event. I saw “The Interpreter” which was very entertaining. Its all with Greek subtitles so in the beginning when they started speaking Koo or whatever I began to worry that I had picked the wrong movie to see overseas. Luckily only occasionally did the actors not speak English. Sean Penn might officially be my favorite actor.

Monday morning I could be found on the beach running on the sand, dodging waves, and working on agility by avoiding rocks. It was nice to be outside, it was beautifully sunny and exercising with such fresh air bringing you back to nature in a wonderful way. Afterwards I laid out for a little while and then headed down to Glyfada, the Beverly hills of Athens, for some shopping and girl time with a good Greek friend.

Demitria met me outside the Pizza Hut and we proceeded to wind our way through the trendy shops buying little and talking a lot. The sun was out and everyone who was anyone was in Glyfada having coffee at the chic coffee shops. So Demitria and I sat down on one of the comfy couches, to sip fancy drinks, talk, and people watch in the sun. We saw many people we knew, basketball, soccer, water polo players and spent the whole afternoon just relaxing. That and bitching about our newly ex boyfriends. A good place to go when you are freshly single though as Glyfada attracts nice looking people.

The weather change has increased my social life exponentially. All I really want to do is go for coffee by the sea or lay out in the sun. People are out and about enjoying the heat and there is a certain energy in the air that is lacking during the colder months. It hasn’t gotten really hot yet but there are glimpses of the heat like yesterday when I was out for coffee with my teammate. I was wearing all black and actually got burnt on my shoulders while we sipped sweet cold coffee and talked all afternoon. It is so wonderful to live near the water.

Next I’ll write about my birthday but all for now….

1 comment:

gipedan said...

Yours By Design Heating and Cooling is a full service Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor based in Blaine, MN
installing residential heating and air and commercial heating and air.**Heating****Cooling**water heater serviceswater heater services