“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you…..” sang eleven preschool children somewhere in Kansas. Their little voices traveling across the Atlantic to wish someone they don’t even know a happy birthday. But you sure couldn’t tell from their enthusiasm, 9 out of the 11 of them screaming instead of singing. I could picture them so excited to sing, little bodies dressed in harry potter t-shirts and pokemon tennis shoes moving to the song without restraint. “Momma” read Trish’s caller i.d. and sure enough her mom, a daycare provider, soon got on to wish me a happy birthday too. It was one of the highlights to a wonderful evening.
Monday night we didn’t have practice so despite my birthday falling on Tuesday we decided to have the party on Monday. At eight o’clock we all gathered at my friend George’s taverna, the one that is located a block from my old apartment. I went and visited my old landlord beforehand. Some things never change as he was just waking up, his pants half on, but he insisted on bringing me in, taking pictures of me and telling me, “24?! You must find a good man and start making babies.” Okay, Manolis, I said and went off to my party.
Most of my teammates came, all my American friends, Greek friends, and even Mimi’s friends came to celebrate with me. All in all there were about 20 people there and a great mix of different people. Even Manolis and his friend came later and had a drink. He began to tell me about his new “special friend” who happens to be 43 years old, married with two kids. And he had me write down the perfume I was wearing so he could buy it for his cousin. He is such a character. I’m not really sure when he is drunk or not.
We ate wonderful Greek food. George always insists on taking the best care of us. Salads and appetizers were passed down the table, wine and cigarettes were abundant and since Greek people can’t show up without gifts, a table was set aside for presents. We had pictures and video cameras, every possible combination of people was recorded in photographs and everyone moved around, mixed and mingled. We had 6’10” Travis talking to little Demitria, her video camera documenting him taking a picture of her filming.
The rest of the week my apartment was redolent of roses from the two bouquets brought by friends, boxes and shopping bags were strewn all over from gifts, and new books sent from home sat anxiously on my table. I can’t remember the last time I got so many presents for my birthday. All in all it was a wonderful day. A birthday I will always remember….
No comments:
Post a Comment