Every time I move, I feel like my life gets stripped of routine, of comfort, even to some degree of the love and support around me. So I spend time meeting new people, doing new things, trying to figure out what really makes up my day to day life. And it takes some time, because one actually has to answer the big questions ‘what makes me happy’, ‘when everything else is taken away, what do I want to do with my days?’ I don’t have the constant distraction of the things we do to avoid ourselves; television, internet, a packed social life, a real job.
I am very much enjoying my life here though. I live in a middle class neighborhood in the center of Athens, very much a traditional Athenian burrough, with crazy drivers and erratic motorbikes honking. On Tuesday, I walk to practice early in the morning, while the street market vendors stack their tomatoes and oranges, dandelion greens and homemade honey. I’ve been trying to eat a plant based diet at home so I stock up on green beans and spinach, dried beans and curry powder.
My balcony is huge and I sit out there every afternoon, eating lunch with the sun on my back. I look out over balconies of
Someone plays the piano in my apartment building. I have no idea who it is, which makes riding the elevator kind of
Waves of happiness hit me with the simple pleasures of life around me. The warmth of the sun, the taste of vinegar and olive oil with basil and black eyes peas, red vines glistening across the street, and that pleasant surprise of piano practice flickering up from the downstairs.
The only inclement weather we’ve had since I’ve been here has been a week of afternoon tropical downpours. Fat drops of cool water hit me as I walked down the sauna of the street. I feel like summer is in overtime these days and I look at the sweaters in my closet and wonder how I’ll ever be able to have such heat on my skin. The breeze in the shade is picking up here though, so I know the cool weather will follow. But for now, I’m drawn to the water every chance I get, the sparkling Aegean that waits for me and takes my breath away every time.
Yesterday after morning practice I went to a beach café. People lay around on palm tree dotted grass lawns with billowing sheets for shade, sipping iced coffees. We sit out on the deck or grab couches inside while the breeze flows through the long
Its nice to be back….
4 comments:
You have a new blog stalker in Seattle. Love you're writing. Excuse me if I live vicariously through you.
;) Brooke (Ingalls)
Ditto to what Brooke just wrote! I am glad I found your blog :)
I love this blog. Period.
Thanks for including a Hawkeye fan, however misguided, in your viewers of the blog. I was looking for your next installment after reading the first on FB, but enjoyed reading it again
Thanks again
Post a Comment