Wednesday, October 13, 2004

wednesday afternoon

I have a very good friend here in Athens, Giannis, that I met last year. Tracy and Kelly and I went out to tavernas with him all the time, out for coffee, and I was at his house for holidays. He drank ouzo with my dad and took my brother and his fiancĂ© to the Easter celebrations in Athens. He’s a great friend to have, speaks perfect English, and basically loves life so he’s nice to be around. I hadn’t seen him since I had been back because he was in Italy. But he got back last week so we met up in the center of town for coffee one sunny afternoon.

We sat around and talked for awhile about last year, summer, and plans for this year. He just decided to move to Naples, Italy for school. He is leaving in a week and I am very sad to see him go but very excited for him. He loves his country but really needs to see the world because he has such a passionate spirit. Anyway, Tracy and I will both miss him but maybe we can make it over to italy one of these daysJ

So Giannis is Greek obviously. Greek people always want to pay. But he has been working two jobs to save up money for Italy and he understands that I really don’t mind paying. I could buy him a thousand coffees and never make up the kindness him and his family have shown me. Kelly and I used to joke about being sugar momma’s last yearJ

Giannis and I are finishing up our coffees and we decide to go to an internet cafĂ© when we are done. So I pull out money and waive the waitress over. I hold up the check and 20 euro bill. She doesn’t take it and instead looks and Giannis and says something in Greek. I couldn’t understand her words but I knew what the problem was. She didn’t want the girl paying. She wouldn’t take my money and instead Giannis pulled out his money and paid.

Now…. I am all for the guy paying on a date if he wants to. But certainly not because the waitress wants him to. And if I’m out with a friend, girl or guy, if I want to pay, I should be able to pay. The whole thing was funny really but it could have been really awkward. I just couldn’t believe she wouldn’t take my money. I felt like shouting at her, “do you know how much money I make here? Women can make more money than men!” A freaking 7 euro bill isn’t gonna break the bank. And Giannis is a friend who is working his butt off so he can fulfill his dream to study astro physics at the university in Naples. Anyway thought it was hilarious and just another thing that wouldn't ever happen in america.

No comments: